The Process

The process was fairly easy, and I could follow all the steps. Thank you to UVic for making these tutorials available! However, certain features were beyond my control and the free software can be finicky at times.

One thing I struggled to use was the “fade-in-fade-out” feature. While I could get the process to work for middle clips and transitioning between segments, I could not seem to fade in or out of beginning or end portions.

Another element that was difficult to control was the zooming function. I could not really tell what exactly the effect was in the finished product, except for a shift towards a somewhat closer view during the specified segment. I am not confident I understand precisely how the software augments the visuals in time.

Videos

That being said, the process was enjoyable, and I can see using this software for simple videos in an educational setting. The videos I made during this process demonstrates some interesting features, to say the least:

Video with Ocean Background

I also tried to use some music from the Free Music Archive under their Creative Commons licenses. Unfortunately, many of them had restrictions on modification, so I could not use them for the video. However, I found a few for which I only needed to share alike. For my second try, I used the start of Swan Song by Paper Navy.

Video with Swan Song by Paper Navy (CC BY-NC-SA)

I look forward to practicing a few other features and using them for these reflections in the future. Out of respect to the artists whose music I used in this post, please follow the following Creative Commons license for this post: